Bob Seger

Bob Seger Concert, Denver, Colorado – February 17th, 2019

I have been waiting a long time for this show.  Those that know me also know that I love my music and concert scene.  My previous work life connected me to the most amazing concert and music experiences that most people never experience.  With some stroke of luck, I found myself suddenly in the midst of dealing with some of the most famous bands of all time.  This led me to many amazing connections, especially to shows and access to great tickets for me, my friends and family.   I have shared this joy with Judith on many an occasion as we both share this soul connection to music.

When Bob Seger announced a retirement tour in 2017, I immediately called in a favor and request for two tickets.  My days of doing this in retirement were slowly dwindling, as the favors had run out, but this was a special occasion.  Craig came through and I was told two tickets would be waiting in will call at the Pepsi Center for the Oct 2017 show.   Unfortunately, a month or so before the show, Bob Seger cancelled due to back problems and had to take time off for surgery and recovery.  But he promised the tickets would be good for a future show. So, we waited.

I have been a huge fan of Bob Seger’s music and his lyrics spoke to me from the first time I heard him. It must have been on the radio in the winter of 1977.  Just days after we had landed in the US as new immigrants.  I didn’t have much experience with western music or rock and roll, other than a few English albums my family had exposed us to growing up in India.  The Carpenters, The Ventures, Abba and the Soundtrack of The Sound of Music.

The exposure to rock and roll, and just music everywhere in that era in St Louis on the radio, was explosive, and an instant connection.  That is when my collection started.  Fleetwood Mac, Journey, Led Zepplin and Bob Seger were my first albums and also my first concerts in St Louis.

So, after much anticipation, Bob Seger finally arrived in Denver yesterday, February 17, 2019.  I had been listening to his set list from this tour over and over for a week.  Judith was also excited.  We drove downtown and as we approached the Pepsi Center we realized that we weren’t the only excited Bob Seger fans.  By the time we had parked and gotten to our seats there were some 18,000 other similar looking fans all roaring with anticipation.  Similar looking in the sense that it was a 50 or 60 something crowd. Everywhere there were middle aged and grey-haired rockers.  I looked like them and they looked like me.  Yet I was back to being 16 years old in my mind, remembering Bob Seger’s songs and lyrics.  These other people must be also.  You could tell that they wanted to jump around and sing like me, but they were also mostly sitting down and clapping.  I hate going to shows and sit down.  It’s been a mantra for me.  Never sit in a concert.   But then I found myself sitting here and there too.  But that didn’t stop Judith and me from singing along every word to every song.

Bob Seger looked like he had recovered well from his back surgery.  He split his time on the stage dancing and rocking to sitting and singing.  The air was thick with nostalgia.  The audience was roaring with love and singing along to all his songs, and he was eating it up.  The band was great, and Bob’s voice was still raspy.  At 73 he still seemed to be in fine performing form, singing almost 25 songs in a 2 hour set.  One hit after another.  And then the show was over.

We drove home in near silence as it was snowing, and the roads were icy.  We came home to Pepi, who was so happy to see us since his mommy and daddy had been gone for almost 6 hours.  As I changed and got ready for bed, the show and its impact kept playing over in my head.  I was thinking to myself that so many of his lyrics touched so many of us…. just everyday normal people, and that is the power of music.  It takes us back in memory, and places us at various events in our lives.  It is the thread that binds us emotionally to our present, our past, our youth, our loves, our friends and family.  I cannot imagine a universe without music.  It truly soothes my soul.  And the gift of a musician, a singer to create such lyrics and sing such songs must be such a powerful and joyful connection.  A talent this life did not give me but damn it…. In the next life I want to sing and be a musician and have that connection.

In the meantime, I think I will use some of Bob’s lyrics in my blogs as I reminisce about certain topics. For now, I leave with these thoughts in the dark as I started humming a song from 1962 and thinking……………

Night Moves – Bob Seger

I woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered
Started humming a song from 1962
Ain’t it funny how the night moves
When you just don’t seem to have as much to lose
Strange how the night moves
With autumn closing in

Turn the Page – Bob Seger

Out there in the spotlight
you’re a million miles away
Every ounce of energy
you try to give away
As the sweat pours out your body
like the music that you play
Later in the evening
as you lie awake in bed
With the echoes from the amplifiers
ringin’ in your head
You smoke the day’s last cigarette,
rememberin’ what she said

18 Comments Add yours

1. Zakiah says:

Wow. Just simply wow. What an amazing experience and how rapturous your words are.
    In 76 when your dad was going around hunting for some record players and sound system to put in your room before all of you arrived, I had got angry with him for wasting money on a kid who was not 16 yet! He had just smiled and said , “he loves music zakoo, I wish I could give him everything!”
    Fond and gentle memories enriching your life and my life.

Liked by 3 people

2. slmret says:

That sounds like a concert well worth waiting for!

1. Masood says:

Bucket list item. Had seen him in the 90’s. Doesn’t tour much. This was his last one. So happy I got to see it. Thank you for the comments.

3. Welcome to WordPress, Masood! I am here reading via your Sweet Aunt Z’s blogsite! 🙂
    Oh, it’s so wonderful to hear your story and how Bob Seger impacted your life!
    I can’t imagine life without music! Our favorite songs are like our personal life-soundtrack. 🙂 (I love all genres of music, but I seem to gravitate to 1970’s rock most of the time! 🙂 )
    I’ve always enjoyed Bob Seger and his voice! I’m listening to Against the Wind as I type this comment! 🙂
    You are a great writer! You words made me feel like I was at the concert, too! Thank you! 🙂
    HUGS,
    Carolyn 🙂
    PS…I hope we will hear more about Pepi!

Liked by 2 people

4. Masood says:

Thank you Carolyn for your nice comments and for following me. This is all new and exciting. You will see lots of posts coming from me. I have a list of topics I am organizing into thoughts and will post once written. And you bet there will be lots of posts about Pepi. Thank you again for the words of encouragement.

Liked by 1 person

5. Masood says:

Oh and Carolyn since you mentioned Against the Wind…… check this out…..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhMfd-NhCeo

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh, I’m listening to this vid as I comment here! What beautiful duet! It brings tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing it with me. 🙂

2. Thank you for following my blog-site. You should be able to access it and read when you have time. I try to post fun stuff, my poems, etc. Writing/blogging is good therapy for everything life throws at us. 🙂

6. Welcome to WordPress. It’s great that Bob Seger at 73 can still crank out those songs.

1. Masood says:

Thank you for the welcome. It seems like the real music of my life Rock and Roll is now mostly 70 year olds…..Lol. However very happy they are still rocking it.

7. onedanyankee says:

Life would certainly lose an important dimension without music. I’m sure I’d know some or Seger’s stuff, if I heard it, but I couldn’t name any off the top of my head. I’ll have to give a listen to him, this week. Our house is full of music. I have five daughters who all sing, and four of them play music, as well.
    It’s cool you got to see him again, and I’m glad you enjoyed the show.
    Welcome to WordPress!

1. Masood says:

Thank for the comment and words of encouragement. Music is really universal isn’t it. It rules my life. I am sure you would recognize Bob Seger’s music if you heard it. Cheers.

8. I encourage you to continue the writing / Music is an universal language
    In friendship
    Michel ( Frenchman)

1. Masood says:

Thank you for the words of encouragement Michel. I appreciate the feedback and comment.

9. Love Bob S. What a wonderful experience.

1. Masood says:

Takes me back to many moments in my life especially growing up in late 70’s St Louis. Still resonates. Thank you for your comment.

10. Zakiah says:

Masoodan, I am so tickled pink at the number of comments you have received. SO happy for you. Waiting for Eajaz now.
    Love you darling. Take care.